2015 Big Red Service Award
John J. Ochenduski
John J. Ochenduski
The Big Red Service Award began in 2005 as a way to honor those who make an impact to Bellevue City Schools and Athletic Department through service and volunteer contributions.
One would be hard-pressed to find someone more deserving than this year’s recipient, John J. Ochenduski.
“Och” was born in Cleveland in 1961 and graduated from Keystone High School in 1980 and Bowling Green State University in 1986. He arrived in Bellevue in 1987 as a Social Studies teacher at both Bellevue Junior & Senior High Schools. He retired from teaching in 2015, but 28 years after arriving, continues to volunteer and assist the Bellevue City Schools in many capacities.
An avid amateur photographer and videographer, Och was asked to film junior varsity football games in 1989, and from that moment on, Och has been nearly non-stop in his contributions:
- Coached the Bellevue Bumpers softball team in 1988
- Worked on the varsity football chain crew from 1990-95
- Helped organize and work the junior high football chain crew in the 1990s
- Filmed basketball games in the 1990s for coach Lyle Falknor
- Helped transport and keep the away game book for freshmen girls’ basketball in the 1990s
- Was official scorekeeper for freshmen girls’ basketball in the late 1990s
- Helped operate the basketball scoreboard during the 1990s
- Was a volunteer junior varsity softball coach during the 1990s
- Assisted at the finish line of BHS track meets during the early 1990s
- Was a Class 1 varsity baseball and softball umpire during the early 1990s
- Laundered the Redmen varsity and JV uniforms from 1991-2009
- Filmed varsity football games from 1991-2011
- Created and edited the Fall and Winter Sports Programs from 1993-2011
- Created and edited the Bellevue Athletic Hall of Fame slide shows for the HOF display case
- Is the current computerized scorekeeper for the Bob Bailey Wrestling Invite
- Is the current computerized scorekeeper for the Middle School Wrestling Invite
- Is the current webmaster for the Hall of Fame website – www.bellevuehalloffame.com
- Has filmed and edited the Bellevue Athletic Hall of Fame induction ceremony since its inception.
In his “spare” time, Och also served as a Bellevue City Councilman for four years, was president of the Bellevue Education Association for several terms, and also served on the Democratic Central Committee for Sandusky County for several years.
John and his wife, Christina Nicole Haynes Ochenduski, have two children, Julia, 13, and Daniel, 10. They live in Bellevue where John continues his passion for photography and videography, builds, repairs and maintains personal computers, and enjoys spending time with his wife and children.
The entire Bellevue School System and Athletic Department Staff says thanks, and congratulations to 2015 Big Red Service Award Recipient – John J. Ochenduski.